Hazlet Alliance Promotes Suicide Prevention
As a community organization, the Hazlet Alliance is extremely concerned about the recent deaths of several of our Hazlet residents. The Alliance is currently working with the Hazlet school district to create proactive strategies and resources for our whole community esp. including our young, at-risk adults.
Did you know that in the United States:
Suicide is the leading cause of death for youth ages 10-24
Young adults ages 18 to 25 were more likely than adults ages 26 to 49 to have had serious thoughts of suicide
One in 11 high school students made a suicide attempt in the past 12 months
86% of school psychologists surveyed reported that they had counseled a student who had threatened or attempted suicide
62% of school psychologists surveyed reported that they have had a student make a nonfatal suicide attempt at school
There is a 24 hour suicide prevention lifeline: 1-800-273-talk (8255) This is a FREE, CONFIDENTIAL hotline that anyone can access and it is always available.
Some suicide warning signs:
- Talking about wanting to die or to kill oneself
- Looking for a way to kill oneself, such as searching online or buying a gun
- Talking about feeling hopeless or having no reason to live
- Talking about feeling trapped or in unbearable pain
- Talking about being a burden to others
- Increasing the use of alcohol or drugs
- Acting anxious or agitated: behaving recklessly
- Sleeping too little or too much
- Withdrawing or feeling isolated
- Showing rage or talking about seeking revenge
- Displaying extreme mood swings.
Remember that SUICIDE IS PREVENTABLE. Please HELP a loved one, a friend, or yourself. Learn the warning signs of suicide and use the suicide prevention resources to learn the way to get someone you care about the professional help they need.
Please urge anyone you know who is in suicidal crisis or emotional distress to call Lifeline - the suicide prevention hotline at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). All calls are routed to the crisis center closest to the caller. (Lifeline receives approx.. 2200 per day)
If you have any questions, please call Barbara Hilliard, Alliance Coordinator at 732-264-1700 ext 8693