Fire Prevention Bureau
The primary mission of the Hazlet Fire Prevention Bureau is to prevent fires and minimize the risk of life and property loss through ongoing education and fire code enforcement.
This includes, but is not limited to, the investigation of the cause and origin of fires, investigation of fire safety concerns, and the inspection of all businesses and commercial uses within Hazlet Township.
The Hazlet Township Bureau of Fire Prevention has the responsibility and authority to enter, investigate, and perform routine fire inspections of all buildings, structures, and properties in Hazlet Township with the exception 1 & 2 family dwellings in which the owner of the property resides.
The Fire Prevention Bureau is responsible for enforcing the New Jersey Uniform Fire Code and the New Jersey Uniform Fire Safety Act. This includes the inspection of all Life Hazard Use Properties (Ex. gas stations, schools, nursing homes, daycare facilities, auto repair / auto body shops, places of assembly and large retail operations) and the inspection of Non-Life Hazard businesses, offices and multi-family residences.
- Investigation of all fires and false alarms
- Certification of smoke detectors / carbon monoxide alarms for re-sale of private homes
- Investigation of all complaints of Fire Code violations
- Issuance of required Fire Safety permits
- Issuance of violation and penalty notices for failure to comply with the law
- Fire Prevention Week activities
- Public fire safety education
- Fire Lane / Zone enforcement
- Responding to Emergencies
- Working closely with the Hazlet Township Police, Fire and Construction Departments