The Township Clerk has responsibilities required by New Jersey law (NJSA 40A:9-133) which include acting as the following:
A. Secretary of the municipal corporation
1. Custodian of the Municipal Seal. 82.5.
2. Maintain custody of all minutes, books, deeds, bonds, contracts and archival records of the municipal corporation, as well as insurance contracts and leases 82-6.
3. Attest to the signatures of municipal officers and officials.
4. Maintain receipt of service of legal documents.
B. Secretary to The Governing Body
1. Prepare agenda for annual Reorganization Meeting of the Township Committee
2. Maintain and keep new members of Township Committee aware of Rules of Order for conducting meetings.
3. Prepare meeting agenda at the discretion of the Township Committee and be present at all regular and special meetings of the Governing Body.
4. Keep an official record of the proceedings of every meeting, retain the original copies of all minutes, ordinances and resolutions.
5. Process, record, file and, when necessary, advertise ordinances, resolutions and the municipal budget.
- Record all ordinances permanently in books. After each ordinance, record and certify the proof of publication. Each ordinance shall be signed by the Mayor and Clerk. 82-3.
- From time to time, with the advice and assistance of the Township Attorney, the Clerk shall bind and compile or codify all the ordinances and properly index the record books, compilation or codification of ordinances. 82-3.
6. Administer and record oaths of office.
7. Maintain custody of all official records not specifically handled by other departments.
8. Act as liaison to the public and correspondent on behalf of the Governing Body.
C. Chief Administrator of all Elections held in Hazlet
1. Certify vacancies at a local level.
2. Maintain receipt of nominating petitions and certification to the County Clerk of local candidates nominated by petition.
3. Exercise quasi-judicial authority in determining the validity of petitions.
4. Furnish material for local elections.
5. Maintain receipt of election results.
6. Certify to the County Clerk persons elected to partisan county committee offices in each election district.
7. Canvass the votes for and certify election of candidates for municipal office in non-partisan local governments.
D. Chief Registrar of Voters in Hazlet Township
E. Administrative Officer with responsibilities as follows:
1. Acceptance of applications for licenses and permits and the issuance of licenses and permits, except where statute or municipal ordinance has delegated that responsibility to some other municipal officer.
- Alcoholic Beverage
- Bingo and Raffle
- Non-Food Vending Machines
- Parking Lot
- Social Affairs
- Soil Removal Permits
- Taxi Cab Drivers
- Taxi Cab Owners
2. Conduct business with other municipal departments as directed by the Governing Body.
3. Maintain personnel records when required.
4. Certify to the municipality's Bond Counsel as to the proper advertising, filing of Supplemental Debt Statement and that no protests have been filed with the municipality as to the adoption of bond ordinances.
F. Records Coordinator and Manager
The Clerk shall have custody of and safely keep all records, books and documents of the Township, except those committed by ordinance to any other office or transferred thereto by the Township Committee. The Clerk shall, on request and the payment of the applicable fees prescribed in state statute therefor, and as set forth in Chapter 167, Fees, furnish a certified copy of any such paper in his or her custody under the Corporate Seal of the Township. 82-4.
G. Other Duties 82.7
1. Perform all of the functions required of municipal clerks by the General Election Law (Title 19 of the Revised Statutes) and any other law or ordinance.
2. Administer the provisions of Township ordinances with reference to the licensing of occupations and activities for which licenses are required by law or ordinance to be obtained from the Clerk.
3. Have such other, different and additional functions, powers and duties as may be prescribed by law or ordinance or delegated to him or her by the Township Committee
Hazlet Town Hall
1766 Union Ave., 2nd Floor
Hazlet, NJ 07730
Hazlet Municipal Clerk
1766 Union Ave.
Hazlet, NJ 07730
Mary LynchMunicipal ClerkPhone: 732-217-8686
Lidia PereiraKeyboarding Clerk / Deputy RegistrarPhone: 732-217-8688