The Assessor is charged with establishing the full and fair value of each parcel of real property in the Township. Full and fair value is defined, as the price property would sell for at a fair and bona fide sale by private contract.
Real Property Taxes
Though the value of real property affects the amount of taxes paid on it, the taxes paid are determined by the budget needs of the school system, county government and the municipality. In other words, the tax is based on the millage rate, which is determined by dividing the government's budget needs by the value of all the taxable property in the municipality.
Therefore, the assessor determines the taxability of each parcel, not the taxes.
Assessors also process and approve claims for deductions and exemptions. Senior citizen deductions are based on age and income. Disabled citizens must be totally disabled and also meet income requirements.
Veteran deductions are granted to those honorably discharged or released under honorable conditions from "active wartime service." Deductions and/or exemptions are not automatic and must be applied for.
Visit the Monmouth County Board of Taxation website
- 100 percent veteran property tax exemption
- Annual Statement of Income and Expense (PDF)
- Application for 5 Year Tax Abatement Program (PDF)
- Certified 200 Foot List Request (PDF)
- Change of Address form (PDF)
- Changes in assessments due to Assessment Demonstration Program
- FAQ Regarding Property Inspections (PDF)
- Further Statement (PDF)
- Initial Statement (PDF)
- Senior Citizen Surviving Spouse Disabled Persons Deduction (PDF)
- Veteran-Widow of Veteran Deduction Application 2020 (PDF)