What do I need to do if I’m selling my property?


When there is a change of ownership, the tax bill should be forwarded to the new owner(s) or their paying agent. Please give your tax bill to your attorney or bring the bill to the closing. 

If you were eligible for a Homestead Rebate, be sure to inform your lawyer. Your lawyer needs to take the amount of the benefit into consideration at the closing as the benefit stays with the property not the owner. 

All questions pertaining to the calculations of this credit should be directed to the NJ Division of Taxations at 1-888-238-1233. Please also bring any deductions or state tax relief applications outstanding to your attorney’s attention so they can be considered at closing.