Historical Items

From the Original Minute Book

Published in the Hazlet Township 125th Anniversary Journal, available at the Hazlet Library

On this day in 1848, our town was officially recognized by the New Jersey State Legislature. Back then, it was called Raritan Township and carved out of a section of Middletown Township. This image shows the notes taken at the first meeting on March 14, George W. Bell was elected Moderator and elected to the Township Committee were Richard D. Walling, Joseph W. Carhart, James Sproul and William Vandine. 

Click on this link to see the image in full size (2.5 mb jpg file).

Minute Book